Friday, March 22, 2013

Friday Meme: Book Beginnings


Today I am taking part in the meme over at Rose City Reader. As a displaced Oregonian, and as always, a little homesick, I am so excited to find a book blog from my hometown. You simply open the current book you are reading and post the very first sentence in the book. Along with posting, you share a few thoughts. So here I go....

I am S L O W L Y getting through Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte. It is laughable how much my reading pace has slowed down since little ones have entered the picture. The first sentence from Jane Eyre is:

"There was no possibility of taking a walk that day. We had been wandering, indeed, in the leafless shrubbery an hour in the morning; but since dinner (Mrs. Reed, when there was no company, dined early) the cold winter wind had brought with it clouds sombre, and a rain so penetrating, that further out-door exercise was now out of the question."

What an amazing writer Charlotte Bronte was! This line seems to set a tone of eeriness and gloom, and is not unlike the melancholy tone of her sister Emily's work of Wuthering Heights. I look forward to what lies in store...

No comments:

Post a Comment